Sunday 10 October 2010

Edinburgh Whisky Fringe


This is one of my favourite events...I have been attending since it began in 2002. Missed a couple...but in a drawer somewhere I have the tee shirt. Held every year around the time of th e Fringe Festival and organised by Royal Mile Whiskies , this is a very popular two day event. Tickets now sell out before a slice of pizza can be devoured by Arthur Motley!! Now I can't remember much about these early Fringe events...hence the blog. The first event was held in the rather plush surroundings of Edinburgh City Chambers….I do remember the comfy seats and a rather worse for wear kilted gentleman asleep on one. But who am I to talk about where a person sleeps!! I think on this occasion I nodded off on the bench at Waverley Station! In recent years the Mansefield Traquair has proved itself to be a worthy venue.                                                
This Year…2010

Tober-more please!
This was the first time that I had been for both days and also the first time that my friend Stacey Queen had attended. And us girls, being girls we just had to dress up. We are both Ralfy.com fans so we decided to wear oor bunnits. This proved a lot of fun as lots of people seemed happy to sign them. As for drams, well we tried a fair few. I was happy to find a Tobermory that I really liked...I'm not the biggest fan but I am partial to a Ledaig...especially if it is 4yr old and dispensed by Ed Bates..ooh la la. First stop however was to see Ashok at the Amrut stand. Cheery as ever Ashok said I could pour my own and as the bottles had pourers on, one could not go wrong...wrong!! Aparently they do keep on pouring and don't dispense an exact amount...ach well...I shared that Peated Amrut 46% with Stacey...that's what pals are for!!

Ashok, Ralfy and a ned!!

Speaking of pals...it is aye good to see Martin Grant...the man with the best laugh in whiskydom. A wee sample bottle was produced from under the table...happy days...an Ardbeg cask sample. French Oak 1st fill from 2000 at 56%...I don't write many tasting notes at these events as it can get a bit fiddly to hold glasses, notepad and pen. But on this occasion I have scrawled 'smokey bacon & cut grass'. A braw dram indeed. Sticking to Islay it was time to go and see David 'gammy leg' Keir at the 'laddie table. I tried the Bruichladdich 17yr Rum Cask as I tend to like the rum finishes that I have tried. This was a lovely sweet dram wtih light cereal tones and hints of coconut. Another sample bottle appears...the PC Multi Vintage...at 46% this was a really nice 'peaty feather'. Off to the Douglas Laing table...ahh Stuart Laing...long time no see....oh go on then..45yr old single grain...if I must. Damn good luscious nectar...one of the stars of the show..46% from the Caledonian Distillery and bottled under their Clan Denny label. Also had the obligatory OMC Rosebank (1990) and a nice Tamnavulin 91..both at 50%

No comments:

Post a Comment